- 2 t dry yeast (or one packet of dry active yeast) + 1/4 c luke warm water
- 1 c rolled oats + 2 c (rice) milk, scalded
- 2 t salt + 1/4 c oil + 1/4 c brown sugar + 2 T honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (using appropriate amount of vegan egg replacer)
- 1/2 c wheat germ, or other interesting flour
- 1 c soy flour, or other interesting flour
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 3-3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- Combine yeast & warm water, let sit for 15 minutes.
- Scald milk, pour over oats. When cooled to 85F, continue on.
- Stir in salt, oil, sugar, honey
- Stir in rest of ingredients
- Knead for 15 minutes
- 1st rise: 2-2.5 hours
- Separate into 4 pieces. Twist two together, put in pan for 2nd rise (1 hr). Repeat.
- 375F for 45-50 minutes
This makes two decent sized loaves, so for a 48 hour life expectancy of the bread, I’ll be making a double recipe to foster Co-op Love. Also, this will insure that the Sabres win tonight, as the last time I listened to the game on the radio as I baked bread for the house, they did in fact win. I’m sure this has deep and profound significance. (The last game when we lost? I wasn’t baking bread. I was watching in High Definition at my sisters house, trying not to covet. And failing.)
Thanks for the wonderful recipe! I can’t wait to share it with my friends – the way I share all of your interesting posts :)
:) Thank you for the fine compliments and for the sharing. I hope you enjoyed the bread. I’m looking forward to making it again for my house.